Re: [RC] Horses!!! stop with the height - Bette Lamore

Hi Erin
This debate has been going on a LONG time on ridecamp and what you are saying about personal preference is what many of us have already said. The funny thing is.... the ones that I've experienced to be the meanest and loudest in their protests about tall horses, saying they have a lack of substance... lack of stamina... lack of oxygen from their heads being too high in the clouds??!!?! are a handful of CMK breeders (not referring to the majority of CMK breeders) who produce solely smaller horses. Coincidence? ;-) I have never heard people on ridecamp who ride taller horses or breed a variety of sizes (like me) bash smaller horses--- just the reverse.
As I've said before, my favorite horse until he passed away was only 14.2 because the older I get, the closer I like being to the ground, despite my 5'7" height, which was tall for my generation. Yet, when I said on ridecamp that my 6'5" husband only felt comfortable on a 15.2 and above horse, I actually had someone there (no names although most know who it was) intimate that there was something psychologically wrong with his ego.
So my dear Erin, you unwittingly backed into the tempest. Just get a good raincoat, an umbrella, and emulate Gene Kelly and sing in the rain :-)
Have a good night and put this overbeaten topic to bed
Bette and Bunny (15.2 and still growing but Mom has promised to ride me next year anyway)
PS My DWR filter is still on so don't expect any further rebuttals :-).

Erin Clutter wrote:

HEIGHT IS ALL PERSONAL PREFERENCE!!!!!
there i even put it in bold lettering AND a different color=)
I think someone said that if you want a tall horse, you don't want tall but you want substance. There are plenty of good tall horses out there with substance also. And there arte plenty of horses that are tall without substance that are great too! It is a personal preference.
I am actually not even sure why I am replying to this subject because I don't think there is even any more need to be talking abou this. But here goes nothing...It is purely a personal preference. If someone wants something...they will get it the way they want. I don't think people should be saying "O NO! You don't want a tall horse your want "substance"!" sure substance is great...but tall horses are great too=) *cough* Wazirs Kharaty, AA Amadeus, Parahdon *cough*...o wait....aren't those great horses with substance and HEIGHT!? oo i do believe they are:)
...so tall horses can ahve great substance I mean...my dad horse is 15.3h but has a swayed back but his withers make your saddle sit at 15.3 and when I am on him(me being close to 80 lighter than my dad with my saddle) and that horse can trot faster than any other horse! and heck...he can beat any horse up a hill and I mean it! If anyone wants to challenge me in a walk-gallop up a hill...please let me know=) I love riding that tall horse....well actually we call him "the beast" or atleast me and my best friend do b/c he looks like an anglo arab even though he is purebred registered arabian and when I am on him I feel so tall and I LOVE IT! I love tall horses....It just a PERSONAL PREFERENCE!
Okay wow...im getting of subject(typical) but still...height of horses is ALL PERSONAL PREFERENCE! everyone please get that through your heads...PLEASE! I know so many people say to me...don't get tall horses...well all I can say is i just ignore them and delete their e-mails or if I am in person I list all the excellent 16h horses I know...and by the end of the conversation they shut up and/or apologize...o no im off subejct again.
But you can find great horses in all different sizes, colors, etc. There is no PERFECT horse. If anyone knows of one...please let me know! I don't know any "perfect" one with the perfect height...perfect body, perfect attitude, etc. So we all can't say one height is better than the other, or one height has better "substance" etc. All horses...no matter what are awesome...it doesn't matter how tall they are...I am not sure why we are even talking about it. It is kind of sad how we look at horses saying one height is better when there is no good or bad height or substance.
-Erin
P.S. sorry i jsut re-read what I wrote and I kind of scatter a bit...it wasn't all based on height it was jsut my opinions on all the things!)
OOOO wait..I have to add something else...I dont think people should be telling other people that what they are looking for in a horse is bad. I got several e-mails when I posted a e-mail saying my dad wanted a true 16h arabian horse. I think that is actually kind of disrespectful when I bet a couple of you havent ridden half the years or miles my dad has. I found it to be quite rude when people said..."Why in the world would your dad want a tall horse...thats too much horse!!!" Well maybe for inexperience people...but not for my dad. My dad is one of the best riders I know. he is sensible, smart, and always cares about the horses health(now how many people just run the crap out of there horses to just win...*cough* A LOT! and they don't notice the horses health) My dad wants a horse the way he wants...my dad and I know a good horse when we see one. Like my lil' ol' well not old but my 8 yr old rushcreek arabian karl...he is lame but we ahve decided to start him a gain this fall just walking and gradually get him to do what he does best..(beat the pants off everyone in a trot...he can do that well). And thats just an instinct my dad has. My dad has had SEVERAL horses where he has put them off for a year because of lameness and they come back even better and stronger...so I don't think its really polite to question people why in the world they want a typical horse...aight thats all =)

FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar – get it now! <http://g.msn.com/8HMBENUS/2752??PS=47575> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

--
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians

Always remember: "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away." (George Carlin)