[RC] Where/How to Donate a Horse/Arabian - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Ruth Abair shakesbearides@xxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear RideCampers,

I have a nine yo Arabian gelding that I have had since he was three - and he
was to be my last horse.
I have used him for trail, overnight camping, and was preparing for LD/25 mile
distance riding this Fall
when lightning struck him in June - about nine weeks ago. I am now looking to
donate or give him
to a good home that won't ask too much of him - like endurance riding - and
need your assistance.

He was drinking out of the pond when lightning struck and it entered his mouth
and exited his left ear. He experienced paralysis on the left side of his
head, his corneas were burnt, and he was unsteady for several weeks. He has
been treated by a competent
Vet - one that has experienced lightning strikes before with horses - since
then. He has regained complete
eyesight in his right eye and some in his left eye. The left eye has scar
tissue and his eyelid cannot close
completely so we are still lubricating it with ointment daily. We go back to
the Vet for another follow-up
in another week. He has not been ridden since the lightning strike. I have
watched his way of going on a
daily basis and it is my opinion he is ready for a ground assessment - maybe
riding in a round pen - but
not ready for the trail yet. If he is rideable; I believe he would make someone
a nice riding horse where
not too much is asked of him - like endurance riding. I say this because of the
degree of difficulty he
may experience seeing around the scar tissue in his left eye.

Do any of you out there know who I can contact that might take a horse such as
mine? I would be
receptive to any guidance, thoughts or offers. And thank you for your time,
it's greatly appreciated.

Ruth Abair
Sadler, Texas
email: shakesbearides@xxxxxxxxxx