[RC] communication on the trail/or not - Mollie Krumlaw-Smith

On the lighter side of trail communication...

My husband (who does ride/compete, God love him) announced one day a couple of years ago that he was going to crew for me on a 100.  This was exciting because I was always asking my girlfriends and was probably starting to push the friendship thing a little too far.

To make a long story short, at the 80 mile mark (the first time I saw him all day, lol) he hands me a Motorola Walkabout (his new super crew toy) and tells me call him when I'm a mile out of the 90 mile mark and he'll have everything ready.  I say great, I was hungry, horse was hungry, and the hold was only 20 minutes and I could really use a crew about then. So we head out on the next to last loop knowing in 10 miles I'd have food, water, and blankets ready..yeah!

So....we're riding along and get about a mile from camp.  I start calling and calling and calling no Tom.  We get through the vet check (with the help of my friends >g<) and are at the 95 mile mark when suddenly the radio kicks on and he wants to know where we are.  I tell him he missed us...apparently he fell asleep and didn't hear the radio.  So much for the high tech advantage.

MKS

--
dangerous content by IntelliBlock MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.