RE: [RC] [RC] rearing - Laurie Durgin

then finally she convinced me to give up,by half-rearing, and spinning around while snorting. I was= more frustrated than scared,we turned back she walked fast but still jumped at things. What do I do? Or what should I have done?

Well, I had similiar problems with Rascal locking up, and if you tried to force him, he'd start backing and get "light"--- Having to ride alone and train him myself, this is what I did. I knew it was a fear , confience problem first off, he was very green, and I only had a bit of confidence but wanted to solve the problem. So I figured , he led well, I'd just lead him . So I got off, and led him. Did this when ever coaxing or circling didn't work, and not having wide open trails , but just fireroad or 4 wheeler tracks my options were limited.
I found after a couple of leading past the spot, I could then ride him past it, particularily on the way home:0) After some time on the trail, now I just givehim time to size it up ,if he stops, leave my reins relaxed and talk to him or strt one of our trail songs
He was just afraid and neededsomeone to notice it and reassure him. The only time he bucked, was when my husband tried to force him to cross his first puddle. I traught him by leading him and having him follow another horse.