[RC] cellphones on trail - Tracey Smith

Most of the places I ride here in Texas I can get fairly decent coverage on the trail EXCEPT the LBJ Grasslands in Decatur.  And for that very reason the Grasslands is one of my favorite places to ride.

No calls from work...or hubby calling saying "pick up milk on way home".  Just me and my friends and my horse.

I have started doing some training rides alone and did promise my hubby when riding alone I would ride somewhere there is a cell signal and also keep the phone on me, not the horse in case we part company.  I check in with hubby via phone when heading out on trail and when I return so he knows all is well.

And as for cellphones and folks "cheating" with them...I am new to endurance so forgive me but I don't really see folks wanting them to cheat either. I know in CTR we can have them on the trail and at one CTR I was at in June it was a blessing when a rider was seriously injured on the trail as other riders that stopped to aid her were able to call and notify ride management before the drag riders even arrived.

If I did have my cell with me during a ride it would be for those purposes only.  When I carry it with me I turn it OFF, so I do not take calls while riding (and also save my battery) but have if if I need to make a call.

Tracey
Lead, Follow, or get out of the way!!!  Happy Trails!!!