Re: [RC] Height of horses - heidi

Of the horses that I had the height information on that thru 2003 had
lasted for 10 ride seasons (Decade Club Horses),
http://aerc.org/long_table.asp these are the results.  Of course, some
of  these horses may not be as tall as was reported, but I know some of
them  and they are definitely that tall -- there are some very good
taller (and  also shorter) horses out there, to judge them by size would
be like judging  them by color. :=)  I think that a taller horse has
just as good a chance  of lasting a long time in this sport as a smaller
horse, it all depends on  the individual horse and how it is managed.
Karen

17.0   1
16.1   1
16.0   1
15.3   2
15.2   5
15.1   8
15.0   10
14.3   9
14.2   4
14.1   3

I would bet my lunch that most of the taller horses were NOT measured with
a stick and level.  I can't begin to count the number of times that riders
have actually ARGUED with me, trying to tell me that my horses are taller
than they really are, particularly the ones with really good substance.

And no, despite the claims of these horses being so tall, it has been my
experience that there are only a handful of Arabs that REALLY stick 16
hands that have persevered in this sport.  Bezatal was one--he was an even
16 hands.  He was also incredibly balanced.

I was briefly at the big Arab expo in Denver--one prominent Sport Horse
sire there has long been billed at 16 hands.  I talked to his breeder, who
had hauled him there, who said heavens no, he was between 15.2 and 15.3.
And he is HUGE.

There are still only two horses that have earned "10s" in this sport--one
of those was Rio, at 14.2, and the other was Khalil Khai, at 14.1.

Don't forget the Susan G Tevis studies--doesn't have to do with height per
se, but if the horse is in proportion, as he gets taller, he will also get
heavier.  In her Tevis studies, the horse/rider combos that weighed over
1200 lbs together started to be at a higher risk for lameness.  So the
bigger horse actually needs a SMALLER rider to keep up his odds for
finishing, and the HW rider needs to find a horse with substance in a
narrow range to keep the combined weight from going over that (or from
going much over that).  That has sure been my observation over the years.
The taller horses simply haven't held up ON AVERAGE as well as the ones of
more average height.

Heidi