Re: [RC] Rider Cards - heidi

In NATRC riding the vet secretary keeps the vet cards in a notebook. The
 vet  writes his notes on that card. It stays clean and neat and the
rider does   not have to carry it around and then at the end of the
ride, the hard copy goes   to the rider and the NCR copy goes to
management.

In CTR, the riders are all going roughly the same speed, and not
particularly fast, so when the secretary with the cards is done, he/she
can drive to the next check and get there ahead of the horses.  I would
challenge any vet secretary to do this past VC1 at an endurance ride,
particularly if there are both extremely fit front runners and folks who
like to use their entire ride time...

Personally, when managing rides, I NEVER used the rider card for ANY
"official" data (ride times, etc.) and only refered to those for pulled
riders long enough to get the pull code recorded.  We gave all completed
riders back their cards at their completion exam, and the pulled riders'
cards were available by awards.  WAAAY simpler than trying to mail them
back!

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks, I guess.

(Same thing with pre-entries--much as I admire those really "organized"
managers, I always found myself busy doing trail stuff, awards, etc.
before the rides--the LAST thing I wanted was a bunch of paperwork.  Many
of our NW riders DO print down the generic PNER entry form off the web
site, but even so, just having a table with entries and an efficient ride
secretary made check-in a breeze, even with very large entries.  And I
can't even BEGIN to imagine the hassle of trying to keep track of
refunds--much prefer to just not have the checks in the first place.  If
one DOES want pre-entries, again, it is far simpler to simply send back
the check than it is to have cashed it and have to write out refund
checks.  The time involved in doing so more than offsets the "office fee"
concept, IMO.)

Heidi

PS:  Best messed-up rider card I ever got vetting rides was one that had
spent a leg of the ride in a cantle pack with an EasyBoot and a banana!