[RC] [RC] Your Human Conditioning Answer - Alice Yovich - DRG1

My Personal Workout Routine (Besides Riding):

You have to understand why this is so important to me. I am 46, 165# (my expected body weight at this age), have 2 herniated discs, a 3rd in danger of herniating (per MRI). I need a right hip replacement. Been riding for 35 years…

Without any previous history of back problems (although I knew my hip needed replacing at 44 years old), on Jan 31, 2004 I bent over to wash my face & I had a sharp pain in my back, couldn’t straighten up. I waited 4 weeks it didn’t get better so went to an orthopedic MD. I had been using a “walking Stick” (glorified Hikers name for a cane, I think), because I couldn’t get up from a chair without slowly shimmying up the stick, wait a minute, then be able to walk with the stick (as my back muscles were spasming to protect the nerves. Believe me, a true back spasm (NOT cramp) is a scary thing – you just can’t move, you don’t know what direction to move as you are scared any direction will increase a pain that is already immobilizing you!!!). Needless to say, I couldn’t ride for the 1st time in 35 years.

I now know my R hip problem, contributed to my L Back problem, as I have seen over the past 2 yrs, my jeans wearing out on the LEFT seat now… (although of course, no doctor  - of course equestrian ignorant - informed me this would happen that my back would go bad, from a bad hip on the other side. Thanks a lot you lousy orthopedic doctors for your patient information & knowledge of any sports other than football…)

To make a long story short…

I had the MRI, it showed the above. I had Physical therapy for 2 months. I think it helped immensely, but fitness doesn’t come easy after a severe injury & it takes 6 months to recover. So I hired that Physical Therapist (who also horseback rides YEAH!!!)  who is also a personal trainer & I do my exercises 1 hour 3-4 times a week. I see him for followup every 2 weeks. This has been going on since March 1, 2004. I used to be a Team Roper until Jan 2004, but the Quarter horse trot & canter, are too hard on my back to ride them consistently, so I bought Missouri Foxtrotters. They are amazing, & I don’t even have to take a RX strength NSAID when I ride them. What a God send!!!!! J That’s how I got into the idea of competitive trail (although I miss roping L  )

I will name the exercises, but really, one needs to goto a trainer in order to see how to do them properly. & further, I think it is imperative, that a serious equestrian goto a trainer/physical therapist that actually rides HORSES a lot (not just mtn bikes)!

  1. 5 sets of 10: back stretches
  2. I have a Physioball – so I do hamstring stretches with it, 3 sets of 10
  3. 3# weights at the ankle leg lifts: 3 sets of ten.
  4. 3 sets of 15 abdominal crunches on the physioball (NOT sit ups)
  5. 3 sets of 15 torso twists with a rubber band
  6. 3 sets of 15 pull ups with the rubber band
  7. 3 sets of 15 arm thrusts with the rubber band (like punching)
  8. 3 sets of 15 French Curls (5# wgt)
  9. 2 sets of 15 hip ABduction with a 3# ankle weight

My opinion now, is that lifting the 80#$ bags of feed, the 125# bales does not get one into shape. This is because it is the wrong kind of exercise & most people (unfortunately) sustain accumulative damage doing this as they use the wrong body mechanics to do this stuff (people don’t know…).

It is a shame, that we only learn the correct body mechanics AFTER the injury. I think this stuff should be taught in high school, not the stupid dance classes, gymnastics, softball etc that I had to endure in high school. It served no purpose & was useless for your future life. Teaching me proper body mechanics back then, would have saved my back.

My 2 cents, hope this helps & saves someone else’s back.