Re: [RC] [RC] ? Getting in the trailer - Agilbxr

Similar thought: A food trained dog will work for you only because he is
looking for the

next treat, not because he wants to please you.

I train agility dogs in my spare time.  *grin*  And I use food and positive
reinforcement.  My dog doesn't work for me because he is looking for a treat,
nor is the treat a bribe.  For that matter, he's not working because he wants
to please me.  He's working because what I ask him to do earns him something he
likes. (food, praise, toy, squirrel chase, etc). Action A brings Consequence B.
I can run an entire agility course with nothing but me and a dog (no
food/toys/leashes etc) and he'll do what I ask for the entire course.  Then he
is rewarded with whatever he likes at that moment.

I used to train with correction type training.  These dogs were not working for
me to please me.  They were doing it to avoid being jerked upon by a choke
chain.  Luckily for my dogs, I've seen the light.  I do not clicker train
because I'm not that coordinated.  I use a verbal reinforcer.

For that matter, I train my horse the same way.  And, although I train both
horse and dog with positive reinforcement, doesn't mean that on occasion the
critter commits what is called a "beating offense".  In other words, when
Grizzly counter surfs or Alpine gets too grabby trying to get his carrot,
someone is going to get beat.  It's quick (no more than 10 sec's) and mostly
noise, and then it's done, and we go back to life as normal.

From what I have been reading from everyone, training of any animal is a
combination of many things.  With my critters, it's about 98% praise,
2%correction.  And I hope and pray I have the wisdom to know when to use each
to the best of its advantage.

Juli and the critters
Alpine the Paso (she only thinks she's the boss....)
Grizzly the Black Dog (agility dog in training)
Molly the Red Dog CGC, TDI(retired due to hip dysplasia)
Gone but not forgotten
Corey the Boxer NA, NAJ, AD, CD,CGC
U-CD Shady Lady CGC-the little brown dog