RE: [RC] [RC] Can a horse drown in a two feet deep river - Chris Paus

I'm not going to get into the argument of whether tie
downs are appropriate training aids, but I do want to
caution people about one thing.

They will NOT, I repeat NOT prevent a horse from
rearing. I see many  riders using tie downs for such
reasons and they are asking for big trouble.

The worst horse wreck I ever had was with a horse in a
tie down. The horse reared up, tie down and all, and
flipped over on top of me. It was January. The ground
was frozen, I laid there,in pain watching a huge white
appy butt come straight for my chest. It was a very
scary moment. I didn't die, but it took my body about
3 months to heal from the accident and took my mind
about a year. I shook like a leaf whenever I got on a
horse after that...

That horse and I parted company. I took myself and my
next horse for some classical training with an
instructor who had been to the SRS. I learned a lot
from him about appropriate use of tools and gadgets
for training and about the results of taking shortcuts
and expecting gadgets to fix holes in the horse's or
rider's training.

If a horse tends to be paranoid or reactionary about
things a rider asks him to do, then tying his head
still is not going to help ease that sense of panic at
all!

chris

A tie-down can be a great training aid if used
correctly, specially if you
have an end result in mind that you're trying to
achieve by using that tool.

Catfish

=====
"A good horse makes short miles," George Eliot

Chris and Star

BayRab Acres
http://pages.prodigy.net/paus