Re: [RC] Unloading problem - mcalex

1. Horse puts one foot in the trailer. Back him out. Reinforce. Repeat 5-10 times.

2. Horse puts two feet in the trailer. Back him out. Reinforce. Repeat 5-10 times.

3. Horse puts three feet in the trailer. Back him out. Reinforce. Repeat 5-10 times.

I'd probably stop there the first time. The next time, I'd probably do a couple of reps of steps 1 and 2, then several of 3, and then...

4. Horse puts four feet in the trailer. Back him out. Reinforce. Repeat 5-10 times.

5. Horse puts four feet in the trailer. Stand for a few seconds. Back him out. Reinforce. Repeat 5-10 times.

6. Horse puts four feet in the trailer and takes one additional step inside. Back him out. Reinforce. Repeat 5-10 times.

And so on. All those reps at the "easy" level are building a history of success and good experiences. It's giving him a chance to relax in the situation. Even if he wants to put more feet in the trailer -- wants to move faster -- don't. Get those reps, and make each step so gradual that it's easy for him to still be successful.

Melissa Alexander