[RC] Vaccinations and experience with WNV - KimFue

Two years ago I bought a horse out of state that arrived with WNV.  I live in California and the vets I use had absolutely no experience in treating WNV since it was quite rare in CA.  Thank goodness that the person (Lori B.) who transported my horse was observant enough to realize that the horse probably did have WNV.  The mare had a mild case and treatment was given early which helped with the symptoms.  The WNV information about the course of treatment I received from Truman and others (on the east coast and midwest) on Ridecamp was passed on to my vets and helped with the prescribing the treatment.  The mare is fine today and shows no adverse effects of having WNV.  She has the nick name of West Nile Nilly.

This year, I decided to switch to the Merial vaccination for my horses since I could give it myself.  I vaccinated 25 horses as well as giving the second booster to each and had no adverse reaction in my herd.  I have no idea if this Merial vaccination will protect the same or better then the Fort Dodge vaccination.  As others have mentioned on this list, even horses that have been properly vaccinated have contracted WNV.  So even if one or two of my vaccinated horses do come down with WNV I really won't be sure if it is because of the brand of vaccine I used.