[RC] WNV - DreamWeaver

I have done a lot of reading up on the two vaccines recently, since I just acquired a new horse that needed to be boostered. In limited testing, the Merial vaccine in tests was 88% effective, and the Fort Dodge 95% effective. Here are some links, one of which shows that not properly vaccinating resulted in 100% fatality rate among the horses that did get it (which probably works out to the 30-40% of all horses?).

http://www.cfbf.com/agalert/2004/08_04_04_3_aa.cfm
http://www.lambriarvet.com/catalog/West-Nile-Vaccines.htm
http://www.americanhorsepubs.org/news_updates/news_update_895.html

I am just really glad that I had been vaccinating all of my horses for years for this, even Weaver (who has had bad vaccine reactions in the past). They have all had their initial dose plus at least one or two additional 6 month boosters now. I have had zero reactions. I did not think that it would come here and hit as hard as it has. We have had dozens of horses get it in the area I am in. I don't ever remember being bit by a mosquito at home, heck I live in the high desert! But, it is here, two of my horses are in pasture and horses within sight of them have been euthanized from WN. The news is doing a very poor job of reporting how many horses have it, and how many have been put down from it. I know individual vets here who have put down more horses than the news has reported have died in the entire area. Maybe it will take awhile to get the reporting more accurate, or maybe it never will be if people just choose to put the horse down in a remote area and don't want to pay for the tests.

Karen
in NV