Re: [RC] WNV? to Susan from a Vet - heidi

   Susan--
     HI, my name is Carrie and I am a veterinarian ( practicing on dogs
and
cats only.)  I was just introduced to the recombinant WNV vaccine, and
it  seems like it should be a more effective vaccine against WNV
infection than  the killed Fort Dodge vaccine ( at least in theory).
I'd love to know your  thoughts on it.....

      A killed virus should make the body mount an antibody response
which
will last for a period of time which will differ depending on the type
of  antigen.....  The recombinant vaccine actually stimulates both an
antibody  AND a cell mediated immune response, which seems like it
should be a more  complete way to protect.    I'm by no means an
immunologist!! but this  vaccine seems more complete in theory.   What
we need to see is the 2  vaccines side by side in an experiment-- but
which company is ready to fund  that one!!??

     Love to know your thoughts....  Do you have any knowledge about the

Merial vaccine which would steer you away from it??

Not Susan here, but another vet...  You are right with your theory, but
there are a lot of other variable, such as the adjuvant used, etc.  I
don't know of any studies comparing efficacy of the two vaccines, and
Susan can speak for her own personal experience with the two, but my
understanding is that the main objection to the Merial vaccine is a higher
incidence of reactions.  And vaccine risk is certainly something that has
to be weighed right along with efficacy when making choices.

Heidi  (who lives in a dry area where the disease has not been reported,
and has thus chosen to use neither at this point...)