Re: [RC] Roundup Weed Control in the Pasture - Truman Prevatt

If it's already gone to seed, spraying now won't stop the weeds next year. In general the spring is best, but if it hasn't gone to seed spraying now would work well. Round Up is fairly safe around stock. Some plants, however, got through a stage where they are poisonous to animals for a short period of time. It is normally the wilting leaves, e.g., wild cherry trees come to mind. During the wilting process hydrocyanic acid (also know as prussic acid) is produced. After they leaves are dead they are once again safe.

I'd keep them off till the plants were past the wilting stage and were dead.

Truman

Jerry & Susan Milam wrote:
I have about 20 acres of pasture and wooded areas my horses are free to roam
and eat on. We've had the property about 6 yrs and have managed the weeds by
bushogging 2-3x annually. I have noticed certain weed species are not being
controlled by this method.

Would it be OK to spot spray a cordoned off area , a weed group at at time
or just wait til spring and use an herbicide while keeping everyone off it a
few weeks?

I'd appreciate any ideas and good advice on weed management for pastures.

Thanks!
In His Hands,
Susan, Fly Bye & Dandy

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time you are given."
Gandalf the Grey of Lord of the Rings

--
"It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis

   "It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis.

    It is necessary to be exalted, and yet take modesty as a foundation."