[RC] Shared trails - Tony Truffer

I used to live in the Bay-Area, in Milpitas just below Ed Levin Park. All the trails where used by horseman's,  mountain-bikers and hikers. We did have our problems to get along. I think it was the Forest Service and a horse-person who came up with the idea of forming a patrol (volunteers) with 8 bikers & 8 horsemen's. I became a member myself. The Forest-Service educated us in tracking, nature-knowledge (birds, plants trees,animals etc.) The police department gave us schooling in the handle of radio ( 911 system ). They asked us to serve at least 50 hrs a year. so on busy user days we had bicycle-and horse riding the trails, we where able to help, and assist
riders and bikers as hikers with there questions. The relationship between bikers and riders became nearly perfect. At some places we put warning signs up.
I don't know if they upheld this system, all this happened in 1989.
ride safe< Tony