[RC] Frances and Rule 13 - Magnumsmom

Frances wrote:
> [...]
> " My problem comes from witnessing an incident at a recent ride and wondering
> if I might be able to help clear up what appears to me to be a huge misconception
> about what is legal and what isn't. "

This is serious.  We do care.  But YOU need to take action, not post
about it on Ridecamp.

If you know of someone breaking the AERC rules then you need to
1)  at least try to clear up the incident with the rider if possible
and / or
2) let the RM know about the incident at the ride at the time,
and /or, if you feel it was a big enough infraction and no one is going to do
anything about it without action (cease and desist)
3) File a protest within 30 days of the printing of the ride results in EN.

Clearing up questions on Ridecamp is fine.  Complaining about people
breaking the rules isn't going to do much good here (unless you are
looking for someone else who has seen the same things).

> [... ] " I know of several people who's horses
> get joint formulas every day of their lives, including ride days, and their owners
> swear by the stuff. "

Joint supplements (GAGS, CS, oral HA compounds) are fine.  There is
no trouble with joint supplements.  They do not mask pain, or bring down
inflammation.  They help our endurance horses live better lives longer.

Sounds like you are confusing "joint supplements" with MSM, Yucca, etc,
which are anit-inflamitories and / or pain killers and are banned during rides for
obvious reason.  "Aspirin" is natural too, but of course it is an NSAID and
is thus banned.

> " If I, living in a tiny and remote part of the endurance world,
> have seen and heard several obvious examples of riders bending the rules, what
> must be going on in some of the really big rides? "

That is an issue for those who manage, ride and are at "really big rides".
Rarely, something can be done remotely, but usually you should be there.
Definitely anything at a ride needs to be first brought to the attention of
the ride manager.

> " This problem just isn't going to go away "...

Nope.

> ... " until the rules can be made clear to ALL competitors. "
> [...]

WRONG!  The rules *are* clear to All competitors.  There is a published
rule book.  There will be those who don't care to follow the rules.  This
is an unfortunate thing for our sport.  Reread my first post to you.  If
everyone was honest, we wouldn't need Rule 13 at all.  There are those
who don't care to follow the rules even though they are *very* clear on
what those rules are.

We are the AERC.  Us.  We are a self policing sport.  If you have concerns,
it's time for you to take action, not ask someone else to try to fix something
that is not broken.

Kathy Myers
in Santa Fe, NM
ps... per Platinum Performance and their "feeding suggestions".  I'd say that
PP is fine as a vitamin / mineral / fat supplement in the intended dosage of
1 - 2 oz per day.  I'd also say that "feeding 8 pounds at a ride" falls under the
"normal substances in abnormal amounts" clause... especially if the rider's
intent is to obtain an "anti-catabolic" affect (ie, performance above the norm
for their horse on that day).  See... there I did it again.  I said the word Intent.