[RC] Sweet Itch - my home remedy :) - JL Thompson

Hi all,

I'm having good luck so far with the following sweet-itch concoction that I
mixed up after a vet wanted to sell me a little bottle of Panalog lotion for
$100 (which is basically a steroid/anti-biotic mixture).  I asked him about my
idea and he said to go ahead and try it, so I did.  It basically covers all
bases - topical steroid for allergic reaction, antibiotic for existing
bites/sores, anti-itch to relieve his misery, and repellant to keep the little
b*stards from biting him even more.

I have been putting my home-made stuff on my gelding for the past three days
and he has already stopped itching and the open bloody sores are now drying up
and NO NEW ONES have appeared!  Yay!  Shahtahr has stopped laying on the ground
dog-style to rub his belly, thank goodness.  He was getting quite raw under
there.  And he hasn't rubbed his tail in the past few days either.

I will probably start applying it every other day now and see how he does.

I'm still using regular fly spray on the rest of his body.

This what I mixed up:

1 oz tube of generic triple antibiotic cream (generic neosporin)
2 oz tube of generic 1% hydrocortisone cream
2-3 oz of Caladryl Clear anti-itch lotion
3 oz of liquid bug repellant*

I put all of this in a squeeze bottle and shook it up to form a somewhat runny
lotion.  I've been rubbing it into Shahtahr's bitten up itchy/scabby areas
(sheath, belly, thighs, between his front legs, chest, and dock of tail) once a
day.  It's not greasy and doesn't build up and become gross.  It soaks right in
and disappears.

It's working so far!

* The bug repellant I'm using contains an ingredient not yet available in the
US.  The ingredient is called "Bayrepel" and is only sold in the mosquito/gnat
repellant called "Autan" in Mexico, the UK, and Germany.  I ordered it online
from a UK pharmacy.   Other repellants might work just as well - but this one
is supposed to be the best for midges which are horrendous in parts of the UK -
and are what cause the allergic reaction known as "sweet itch".  Liquid DEET
might work well too.

Anyway, for what's it's worth.  :)

Jennifer