RE: [RC] [RC] reply to Bob Morris - Nancy Mitts

You're making this so much more difficult than it really is. The reason horses need the selenium supplementation is because they are NOT obtaining the amount they naturally need from their living conditions. What the horse needs to be given to raise their blood level to the "normal" level, makes it the normal amount. Elytes should be given in large quantities in areas where large quantities are lost. The point is to maintain the needed equalibrium. Horses can burn up lots of carbs in athletic competition. Horses given more than they need are going to get in trouble. So will the horses given less than they need (I don't want to start a carb debate here. Please don't argue about what's "best.")
If a holistic compound is okay (not a drug) as long as you are not treating a "disease", how about giving every horse a dose of bute BEFORE they're lame. I'm not treating an existing lameness, I'm just promoting continued soundness, so that's okay, right?
There is no way to make this rule any more clear, someone will always have a "yeah, but".
Nancy Mitts

A rigid interpretation of the rules would suggest that selenium supplementation at more than "normal" levels would be illegal("normal" for us Islanders being almost non-existant).

A drug, according to my dictionary, is "any substance used as a medicine". That suggests the treatment of a pre-existing condition of some kind. Holistic/homeopathic compounds are designed to promote overall good health and are not necessarily used to treat disease. A very fuzzy line of interpretation can be drawn based on the way the current rules are presented and I suggest that a clearer, written ruling is the only way to make the issue of banned substances go away once and for all.