Re: [RC] The worst of training days and a telepathic question...(long) - Chris Paus

Merciful heavens! what a day!

chris
--- Sharon Hinshaw <sangel15@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

1st part of the saga....Today was one "heck" of a
training day. We are in the SE near Asheville, NC
and ride frequently in the Bent Creek park area.
Great place to train! There were three of us there
today having a wonderful time. We had a cold front
move through so it was cool and breezy and we were
making the most of it. About 8-9 miles into the ride
and really up into nowhere, on single track with
mountain on one side, no where to go, and drop off
on the other side, again no where to go; my horse
passed over and disturbed a yellow jacket nest that
was residing in the ground ..the middle horse
suddenly was in full panic mode, bucking like crazy,
my horse is getting stung and he is bucking like
crazy and the third horse got the heck out of dodge.
The middle horse bucks off the rider and she gets
stepped on about three times and she also lands near
the nest. Some how we get the rider up and we all
get about 1/2 mile away and we regroup. While
checking injuries and how many bee stings we all
have, the middle rider has about 15 stings, both
arms have been stepped on but not broken and her
lower back also is OK..she suddenly starts wheezing
and having difficulty breathing. Face is swelling
and getting hives all over. Somehow we have cell
service, very unusual, call 911 and have EMS meet us
as near to the trail head as we can get. We keep her
in the saddle and haul butt meeting EMS in an ATV.
They take her on to the local hospital while we pony
out her horse. she is fine after IV fluids, Benedryl
and steroids.

2nd part of the saga...We get back to our trailers,
check the horses again...they seem to be fine other
than the welts, heart rates are fine, untack and let
them graze some before loading when we realize that
one of the vehicles has been broken into!  Window
broken out and purse stolen, money,credit cards and
cell phone...What else is going to happen! ?  This
has always been a safe place. So call goes out to
the sheriff and hurry up and wait on them.

3rd part of the saga and telepathic question...of
course now the horse whose rider is in the ER has
had issues in the past with entering a trailer. Had
a bad accident once and still sometimes has trouble
getting in. So of course we can't get him into the
trailer. We try everything and an hour later I'm at
my wits end. And then I remembered a thread on ride
camp about how a horse communicates. So I took him a
little away from the trailer but still lined up
straight, stood to the side of his face and looked
him in the eye, talked very quietly to him about
home, all the while picturing it in my mind, the
white fence, his other pasture buddies, the green
pasture and then pictured him getting on the trailer
to go there. I was absolutely astonished as I led
him in and he went right on like the past hour never
happened. That was so bizarre but I had several
witnesses. So my question..did he understand finally
what I wanted of him with my pictures or did he
finally get tired of the game and just got on.
Coincidence ??? Not only did he get on but he stood
quietly while I hooked him onto the safety tie,
hooked up the butt bar and shut the door. What
happened??

So all of you be careful out there!! Watch out for
bees and have a plan if you get separated, have a
cell phone, it might work. We were lucky.... it
could have been so much worse and thank goodness we
don't have to deal with banana spiders as well!!
Sharon and Renegade

=====
"A good horse makes short miles," George Eliot

Chris and Star

BayRab Acres
http://pages.prodigy.net/paus