[RC] Horse Identification - Jonni Jewell

Yes, I've had the liquid nitrogen acne treatment and it is COLD. But no
damage was done to my skin or to the horse's skin. It is only for a matter
of seconds and just affects the hair follicles enough to kill the pigment.
There was no wound or soreness afterward. Nothing visible to "heal."<<<

Wow, it was many years ago when I had three horses freeze branded by the
Arabian horse club person, and I remember that the DID have something to
heal. Where the brand went on, they had some scabbing, and the whole area
swelled up for a few days after the procedure. And don't EVEN think those
horses were going to let me touch that area until it healed....it hurt. But,
we had well done, easy to read brands. In the winter, the hairs were white,
but in the summer, with a slick coat, most of the brand area was hairless,
with just a few white hairs showing through.  And, if I remember,  on grey
and light colored horses, they leave it longer, so it will kill off the
follicles and not have them grow in at all.

I was very happy I did the procedure, and would do it on this group of
current horses, as I do think it discourages theft, and "might" help you get
them returned to you if they were lost or stolen. But it was not painless by
any means. But then neither is having their teeth floated, vaccinations, and
other basic procedures.

Jonni