Re: [RC] [RC] Horse Identification - Truman Prevatt

My neighbor of some years ago worked on the committee that came up with the reccomendations for FL after Andrew. She said the biggest problem they had after Andrew was no one had the time to track down brands, freeze brands - for get chips.  The one issue she had with chips was you can't expect the emergency workers to have every format of chip rider and even if they did, you can expect them to scan every horse with all the different formats.  All these would be sufficient for an owner to claim their horse if they knew where it was. In the west brands are registered and accurate records kept - but the west (except for the gulf coast of Texas) doesn't get hurricanes and in the east brands on horses are not all that common and it is unclear that the state records would be sufficient.

Look at the pictures. After a hurricane there is tremendious human loss - loss of life, loss of property, destruction of infrastructure, etc.  That is number one priority. The rescue of the animals is a secondary priority. If you want your animal back if they get out in such a situation you have to make it as easy and as straight forward as possible.

The emergency workers after Andrew were at one of the race tracks in the Miami area patching up and taking care of horses. It was a "mash" operation. I went down with a group taking horse feed after Andrew for the rescued horses. These people were working their butts off just to keep ahead of the load. No one had time to track down brands. What you need is a phone number where you can be reached visible somewhere on the horse.

Truman

Jonni Jewell wrote:
Freeze Marking (it's not a brand) takes 28 seconds and is PAINLESS to the

horse. It cost $100 and they came right to the barn.Kryo Kinetics Associates
Inc. www.horseweb.com<<<

While I myself, have had horses in the past with the freeze brand on the
neck done by Kryo Kinetics, and would like to get my current horses done
(the brand is a series of symbols, that ID the horse with its registration
number with the Arabian horse assoc., and can be ID'ed by anyone who has the
symbol chart) I would still want some sort of ID on my horse in an emergency
situation that anybody could read (such as a cell phone number), and contact
me if my horse was wandering around after its fence and barn blew into the
next state.

Jonni

--
"It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis

   "It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis.

    It is necessary to be exalted, and yet take modesty as a foundation."