[RC] rearing problem - Nancy Reed

Rae,

Our Lyric had a rearing problem too when we got her a year and a half ago. She was 3 months shy of 5 years old.   I believe Lyric was low on the horse pecking order in the pasture were she grew up.  Her first training home was a horrible experience for her.  All she knew was failure. I believe the rearing was due to fear.

Once at a fun show I thought she would go over backwards with my daughter.  That was in February or March of this year.  Lyric is not a leader and had a real fear of other horses especially coming up from behind. We needed to go slower with her training and limit her exposure to large groups of new horses.  We lavished love on her and grouped her with the “steady Eddies” of the barn, especially when attempting a new environment or behavior.

This has really helped tremendously.  In June my daughter rode Lyric in the 4H show at the Del Mar Fair.  She was terrible the first day.  By the end of the show a day and a half later Lyric was comfortable with all the gymkhana horses milling around her watching the riders run the courses.  Yesterday Lyric took my daughters friend on an 8 mile ride with all new horses, was in the middle of the pack and was a perfect angel.

So, go slow, be patient and have the calmest horse near your baby.  Praise, praise, praise any good behavior.  If I can do it, and I’m no trainer, you can do it too.

Nancy Reed,

Lazy J Ranch,

Elfin Forest, CA

PS It has been so rewarding to see Lyric bloom into a really nice horse!  I did have a trainer to consult with and help me.  The trainer, Carrie Lindsey has moved to Texas and is looking for work.  Her number is 903-498-3498.