RE: [RC] ORTHO FLEX - Jonni Jewell

Had two Ortho-flex Patriots. Bought about 10 years ago. One was doing damage
(yes, damage) to every horses back we put it on. But, only one side. I
finally took off the booties, and set the saddle down on the floor, and
found one panel was mounted higher than the other. They were not even, thus
uneven pressure. I got rid of that saddle. The other one does damage evenly
on both sides. It is at the "pivots" that connect the saddle to the panels.
The Patriot fits my hubby great. It has a narrow twist, nice padded seat,
comfortable for the rider. But we only use it for short 1 hour or less
rides, because of the ill fit on the horse. OF says they can replace my
panels, but how much do I want to dump into a saddle, with no real solid
guarantees it will work. (about $500 for new panels) Love the saddle for the
hubby...hate it for the horses.

Funny someone mentioned that at Tevis, a rider had I think a Bob Marshall
saddle, and how it worked SO well. (not sore, no rubs etc.) Well, lets see,
I had a $350 borrowed Bighorn, that worked extremely well on my horse at
Tevis. My point is, not every saddle, will work for every horse and rider.
There is NO one saddle that will fit them all. Find one that works for you
and your horse, and be happy you found it. Right now, for me, (after
spending a bunch of money on a saddle earlier this year...that does not fit
ME well) I will be using the borrowed Bighorn.

Best investment I have made this year, was an Impression Pad, to use when I
try out saddles. Well worth the $200 before investing a bunch of money in a
saddle that might end up not fitting as well as your eyes seem to tell you
it does.

Jonni