[RC] wind sprints - larry Miller

Basically in a training ride, one wants to do 3 - 4 sprints.  The idea is to get the heart rate as high as possible.  I like to run half mile hill for one of mine.  I start out the easy part with an extended trot, when we hit the steep part of the hill, it is a flat out gallop.  At the top Maggie's HR is about 220.  If she is in good shape her HR will drop around 120 in about 90 sec, not too good of shape it takes about 2 minutes.  I usually walk her to see where she drops.  I also have a quarter mile hill run and other flat places where I let her all out.  Her pulse will reach 180 - 190 on those and it takes her about a minute to reach 120 or under.  I use 120 as the magic number.  If she doesn't reach it in 90 seconds, then I have done too much.  If she reaches it in about a minute, then there was some conditioning but there could be more.  Half mile hill usually is done once in a training run.  I haven't done my homework well that last couple of years and it takes Maggie a good 2 minutes to drop to the 120 mark on that hill.  The rest of my sprint areas are a piece of cake for her.  Now if I could just convince her to keep my knee away from those trees we would be in great shape.  The other thing to remember is not to overdo the sprints.  Maybe do them about 3 times a week.  Once the horse is in the shape one wants, then figure out how to maintain.  Jeanie