Sent: Saturday, August 07, 2004 9:59 AM
Subject: [RC] Sponsorship

I just don?t quite get it.  I can name you a dozen sports with Amateur athletes ? athletes not ALLOWED to make a dime, where sponsorship is not only appreciated, but absolutely a necessity if one wants to excel.  That goes for the amateur athletes AND the event organizers.

Here the UAE Endurance Village, home of the Wathba stables showed up at Tevis, graciously shared their financial blessings in the best way they know how, by giving away the coolest entry gifts I have ever received at any ride, helped ride management (whether through supplying volunteer t-shirts, or whatever other contributions) to put on one of the most incredible 50th anniversary rides, promoted their endurance village on the other side of the world and offered the 1st place winner NOT a cash prize, but an opportunity to compete at their endurance village.  That to me is nothing but awesome and great sportsmanship.  Why in the world are we making such a big deal about it.  Instead of noticing the fine details of engraved hats vs. some cheap ink, we gripe about a flag not being absolutely correct ? as if they did it on purpose to insult us.

Hey, let?s face it.  Their endurance village is on the other side of the world.  Realistically, just how many of us US riders are going to go over there?  And if so, what?s the big deal?  Isn?t it great to try to bring these two great entities closer together by means of competitive sports?  And if people have such a big problem about their offerings of a trip to the UAE after winning Tevis, then let?s let the Tevis winners decide whether or not they want to go.  It is an OFFER to go on this all expense paid trip, not an obligation.

Sponsorship can make an event grow stronger and can do miracles for whatever sport it may be.  I am very surprised about the lack of appreciation, and the need to ?pick apart? and ?discredit? a good deed and a good intention on behalf of the UAE.  I am absolutely sure that their sponsorship was done with good intentions, and if certain individuals don?t want to be part of it, then don?t.

Catfish

DBL Realtors