RE: [RC] [RC] USA flag on cap - Howard Bramhall

There are so many different rules with our flag it kind of boggles the mind. I used to know most of them when I was in the Air Force. Even back then, some of the rules kind of bugged me. The fact that I wasn't allowed to wear the flag on my clothing, anywhere, when out of uniform, was the one that bothered me the most. Since I've been a part of both worlds (military and civilian) I believe the only ones who are following all of the rules concerning the flag, to the letter, are members of our military, policemen, and firemen. This is because someone, above them in rank, will get in their face if they do not.

After 9/11, and no longer in uniform, I purchased a ball cap, from Wal Mart, that is bright red, with an American Flag right there in the middle. I wore it quite often then, after 9/11, and, I wear it quite often now. I've never had someone come up to me and ask if I was a cop (haha), a soldier, or a fireman. Some of those obscure rules concerning our flag are followed no longer by patriotic civilians who have made up their own rules concerning their flag. I kinda like the fact that we have the freedom to do that very thing. As a civilian I have quite a lot more freedoms than I had when I was in the military; I cherish that change.

I'm sorry, but, if you feel strongly enough to wear it, you should be allowed to, and, that particular rule should be rewritten (quite a few Americans already have). And, if you have the courage to wear it overseas, in Europe, Asia, the Middle East, or, at the Olympic Games, in Greece, coming up, my guess is, you're incredibly proud, and, you're incredibly brave.

cya,
Howard

----Original Message Follows---- From: Barnsourfarm@xxxxxxx To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [RC] USA flag on cap Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2004 09:16:16 EDT

As far as I can tell, The Left USA flag is correct because it is on the Left
side of the cap closest to your heart, therefore it is displayed correctly.
Police officers display a left flag on their left sleeve because the stars
should be closest to your heart.