[RC] pulsing down - larry Miller

If the horse isn't in good enough shape, no matter what tricks of the trade one does, the horse just isn't going to hack it.  All the ideas presented are good ones, I would add sprints to the training runs, 3 or 4 all out gallops and hills too if there are any available.  The horse has got to be in shape for what one does.  The trick of the trade that I do is to get off the horse for the last quarter mile in, this is after I have cooled the speed down for the last mile to a trot and not a real fast one either.  Loosen the cinch, take the bit out, let the horse grab grass or hay as well as carrots.  This all helps for the horse to relax.  By the time I get to the check, my horse is already in the acceptable pulse range.  I wait a minute or two and then yell check or get into the gate.  Jeanie