Re: [RC] West Nile Virus-Heads Up - Truman Prevatt

Most likely it will end up like it is in Southern Europe and the middle east - once it gets established it isn't a big deal. So yes take precautions and vaccinate, realizing that vaccinating is not a silver bullet. I had two fully vaccinated get WN. Also realize it isn't the the grim reaper calling either. I have two horses, fully vaccinated that got it and completely recovered and are back out doing endurance.

The key is not the vaccine but the owner knowing his horse and knowing when something is "just ain't right- as we say down South" and calling their vet and a vet that has kept up as it has worked it's way across America and knows to treat first and worry about what the blood test later.

Truman

Marj Pryor wrote:
We just returned from Montana where we met a wonderful gentleman rancher in
a wheel chair.
He is paralyzed on his right side.  He can use his hands now but his right
leg is still paralyzed.
>From what?  West Nile Virus.  He got it last year and nearly died.  This
was a wake up call for
me.  I vaccinated my horses because my vet, Jason Shaver, strongly
recommended it.  And I
was skeptical!!!  I never gave a thought to the possibility of human West
Nile Virus.  I just
want everyone to be aware.  THIS IS SERIOUS!!!  Wear mosquito repellent
when you are in
a mosquito area.  It is here and it is real.  I haven't heard of a human
vaccination yet.  Maybe
the vets can give us one??
Marje Pryor-Spiller
                       ,--\