[RC] Strongid C / Daily Wormers - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Cindy Lawbaugh lawbarabs@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I am also interested in replies.  I have had my horses on Continuex.  I have 5
horses, confined most of the year to 2 acres.

These horses have mostly been idle, but I have a young horse that I have been
conditioning for his first ride this month.   I seem to remember someone
posting (Heidi) on this subject, but cannot recall the reasons for caution.
Does it interfere with the good bacteria in the gut?  Perhaps a probiotic to
counter the daily wormer killing off the good guys?

Cindy

Please Reply to: Lynda Webber endurogal@xxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi, everyone...  I sent an e-mail to RideCamp a couple days ago asking for
opinions and information on the use of Strongid C daily wormer in endurance
horses, and I was surprised to receive only three e-mails on the subject! After
searching the archives, I saw there were some e-mails from the late 1990s
indicating that Strongid C may be linked with anemia in endurance horses.
However, I was wondering if those rumors proved false over time, as I have come
up with no other negative info on Strongid C since the late 1990s. Do all of
you feel this is a satisfactory product, then?  I simply had some concerns
about feeding a horse a chemical toxin (albeit in small amounts) on a daily
basis, year in and year out.  ...But maybe my fears are unfounded...  I'd
especially be interested in hearing from any veterinarians out there on the
subject.

Thanks!
Lynda Webber
endurogal@xxxxxxxxxxx