Re: [RC] UAE/EIEV sponsorship of US rides - Maryanne Stroud Gabbani

Just to toss in an obscure socio/political note: The United Arab Emirates are not all that united. Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Sharja, and so on are, IN FACT, separate political entities each run by a separate family (or at one time a branch of one large family) and each place/society has its own flavour. Therefore, sponsorship by the Endurance Village in Abu Dhabi is not the same as sponsorship by, for example only, the Maktoum family of Dubai. The rivalry among the various emirates is considerable and each has its own way of pursuing endurance. My personal experience from watching the competition here among the emirates and following the development of the riders is that Abu Dhabi is a fairly good class act, albeit subtlety in advertising is a concept rather lost in the Middle East.

As someone who is stationed at the tiny table in the corner of the party for Gulf endurance watching the interactions among the major players, I think that it's interesting that Abu Dhabi is going after the US sponsorships rather than Dubai. If it had been Dubai, you'd have seen Emirates Airlines stickers all over everything. As for the backwards flags, well, sometimes quality control isn't all that great here. I was driving back from town the other day on a road that I don't usually take and started giggling hysterically as I passed a sign directing me to the Niel River and the Kornish. Most English-reading Cairenes find our road signs immensely amusing, but you wonder why no one ever corrects them.

Maryanne
Cairo.