RE: [RC] Susan - B1 supplements - Susan E. Garlinghouse

How do you know your horse has a B1 deficiency?  Since B vitamins are produced in the equine hindgut as a byproduct of fermentation, I doubt it.

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Celeste
Sent: Tuesday, August 03, 2004 10:23 PM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] Susan - B1 supplements

Hi Susan

I read your comments on B1 supplementation, my gelding has a deficiency and I was advised to put him on a calming supplement as it contains B1. Aside from the drawbacks, would a B1 injection be more suitable as I don't like giving all the other aditives in the calming supplement when I don't need them. How much would be a safe dosage and can I overdose this or is it safe.

Thanks

Celeste