Re: [RC] Choosing Between Horses - Mandi

Louise,
I have noticed this as well.  I'm so glad someone else put it in writing.  I thought it might have been me!
Amanda

firedancefarms <firedancefarms@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Chrysta,
As one who trains 4 and 5 year olds,   IMO horses go through three stages.  Stage One is the NOVEL stage.  Everything is new, cool, and FUN.  Stage TWO is the I DON"T WANT TO DO THIS ANYMORE stage.  It's not so fun anymore, I want to do what I want to do and not what you want me to do.  Stage THREE is the "oh well, I guess I have to" stage where they are resigned to "be a good boy".

The horse you rode is in stage ONE.  Most of our 4 year olds on their first trail ride act the same way this horse did.  There WILL be a stage two.  Sometimes I think Arabs stay in stage two longer than TB or SB, but EVERY horse has something they do "bad" when they don't want to mind.  Some just balk, some shy, some spin and rear, some buck, some bolt, some toss their head.  If you're lucky, they just freeze up and maybe try a few turn arounds.  Of all the ones I've  trained (40+) only one was something we couldn't deal with...a terrible 360 in the air..buck, spin, and twist..no one could stay on him long enough to discipline him so he just got worse.

I'd keep the horse you have.  At least you know what you have!
Happy Trails!
Louise
Louise Burton
Firedance Farms Endurance Arabians