[RC] Moonlite 100 - my first attempt - Timothy Worden

Among the many Tevis posts, there have been a few that
mentioned the Sandhills Moonlite 100 this past weekend
in South Carolina.  I posted a few times prior to the
event trying to drum up more riders.  We ended up
having 5 start the 100, with a pretty good turn out
for the 25 and 50 mile distances.

The night before driving down I had a sharp sudden
pain in my back which carried into Friday.  A
co-worker mentioned I may have a kidney stone
according to my symptons.  So I drank water and coffee
like crazy to flush my system.  When I hit to road for
the 2½ hour drive to SC I was feeling somewhat better.
I arrived at camp about 4:00pm and found my wife and
friend, Dody, who went down the night before with the
horses.  I resumed to flush my system of this possible
kidney stone, only this time with beer and margaritas.
I then woke up Saturday morning with a hangover,
still with a mild pain in my back.  No problem, I had
until 7pm to recover:)  By noon I was feeling better,
eating again and drank water all day.

After the 5:30pm ride meeting we had a 100miler
pow-wow.  The five of us started at 7pm behind the
ride managers Jeep as he took us out 12.5miles.  This
road was a long sandy road, some gravel.  We came upon
an apple orchard that was a tad ripe smelling.  Across
from the orchard was a coastal burmuda hay field that
the sun was setting over...very beautiful.  We reach
the 12.5mile point where we hold for 15min before
heading back on the same road.  Samantha Sandler and
Juliette Maybay got way out ahead as Jen Smith, Mary
Maynard, and myself paced together.  It was dark and
the moon was out by the time we reached camp for our
first vetcheck.  My horse, Rocco, was doing good
though bobbed a couple times.  We took his bellboots
off and found some rubs.  We trotted out for Otis
before we left and Rocco was just fine.

Off the 3 of us went.  That first 25mile out and back
was the only time we were to do that.  The rest of the
ride consisted of two 12.5 mile loops repeating 3
times each....ugh!!!  We did the two loops which put
us at 50miles.  Jen was really quiet that last
12.5loop and had to pull since she got sick.  Rocco
vetted through strong for this third hold at 50miles.

So off Mary and I went to do the first of the two
loops for the second time.  At about the 60mile mark
at 4am I was struggling to stay awake.  I have no idea
how I stayed in the saddle cause my eyes went shut so
many times.  We came to some water buckets.  I ate
some crackers and carrots still with the skin on them.
I packed a bunch of carrots for Rocco, but I needed
some of those sugars as well. This perked me up a bit.
We made it back to camp about 6am and vetted through
great.  Lara was still up and made a refreshing pot of
coffee for Mary and I.

Off to make another darn loop.  Mary and I got off and
ran and walked with our horses a bit.  During this
loop though, Rocco was starting to forge bad on his
left side.  This has been an on going problem.
Towards the last 3 miles of this 12.5mile loop he
clipped really bad.  I took a look at his heel and it
was pretty red.  I told Mary to go on and I just
walked.  But now it was morning and the deer flies
were up and biting.  Enough of this, off we went at a
canter to get back.  We finally got back and I went
right to Otis and pulled.  Rocco was still strong and
fit to continue.  Rocco was sensitive on that heel,
but still sound at a trot.  I didn't see any sense on
doing another 25mile only to make it worse.

I don't regret trying the 100, it was an awesome
experience.  But I will probably never do another 100
that starts in the evening.  I sure do have a stronger
love and appreciation for my new horse Rocco.  He
jumped off the trailer at home and drug my wife back
to his pasture.  What amazing animals we ride.  This
is the furthest either of us had gone.  Thanks to Jen
and especially Mary for riding with me for 75miles.
Biltmore 100 next May is our goal to attempt another
100.

Tim and Knight of Morocco the Desertbred gelding
http://www.carolinadistanceriders.com/images/rocco_pyramid04.jpg