[RC] Tevis - sandy . l . holder

I wanted the Tevis experience, but knowing that my boy wasn't quite ready yet, I decided I'd get it by helping out and offered 'my services' to Pam Bowen.  I ended up helping out for her group which were all on Trail-Rite horses.  They all made me feel 'right at home' and didn't mind all the questions and aggravation I gave them during the 4 days we were all together (most of which was without sleep).

What an experience!!  Made 'new best friends' with quite a few folks and got hugs from most of them when I finally departed yesterday around 4 p.m.  Thanks again Pam, Tammy, Charlie, Jessica, Don, Carol, Denny, Tina & Brian (the last two of which showed up with Denny not knowing ANYTHING about endurance riding and by the time we finally went to sleep - 7:30 a.m. - 8:30 a.m. Sunday morning, cause we just COULDN'T miss the BC judging - both looked like PRO'S)!!  Oh, and I met fellow Floridian and owner of Gorgeous George, Ed Kilpatrick.  Made him give me his autograph on the inside cover of this month's EN (his picture with his new mustang adoptee).  Quite a guy and man does he 'clean up well'!!!  LOL!!  I also enjoyed keeping an eye on Patricia's horse, Suhr-Raj, overnight - which was basically a couple hours while she caught some shut eye.

Ya'll probably know this by now but Jeremy won the Haggin Cup and co-tied as winner of this years TEVIS Cup (and he and his crew will have an all expenses paid trip to UAE on them). . . not sure but think this is the first time EVER that a husband and wife have won the Tevis. . . and I'd be surprised if any Husband and Wife have ever BOTH won the Haggin cup!  His horse looked fantastic (through my bleary eyes)!!  My group started calling me the 'hay soaker' after I took over some alfalfa soaked in water to him and his crew at the Forest Hill vet check and promptly soaked some more for our team coming in (the horses loved it and it gave them a little bit more fluid in their systems).  Oh well, Sandy Holder, "Soaker of Hay" doesn't sound too bad (does it?)!!

Speaking of good looking horses, I have to admit that the Trail-Rite horses looked great when they finished, a few sore muscles and one electrode rub (on Julie's horse) but every single one of them looked pretty fit to continue.  I think I asked Tammy and her crew (including husband Charlie) a zillion questions!~

Anyway, I'll post the pictures when I get them developed.  Hopefully a few will turn out (as it was pretty hot in the afternoon and I'm not sure how much heat got to my camera).  But the best part of it all was when we sat down with Julie (Suhr) and talked to her about the Tevis.  At first she said 'never again', and then she mentioned that she'd said THAT before (after her previous finish) and then, when I told her my dream of doing it next year on my wonderful boy, she looked at me with a wistful glance (and I thought, hmm. . . "never say never")!!!

Having learned a lot, having met a bunch of 'new friends', and having seen the horses that finished, I know this really is The World's Toughest Ride.

Ya'll take care,
Sandy