RE: [RC] Horse hit by car at Tevis? - Susan E. Garlinghouse

>Does anyone have information on a horse that supposedly got hit by a car on the ride? We heard it was brought back to Foresthille and died there?????

The information I got from a friend who was there is that a horse died out of FH, but there was no car involved.  The horse had been doing well, passed the check, started down the street, the heart monitor went to zero and the horse dropped in his tracks, essentially dead before he hit the ground.  Almost 100% a blown aneurysm, and a coincidence that it occurred to an endurance horse at Tevis instead of a dink standing in pasture at home.  There was nothing anyone could have done to foresee it, prevent it or treat it.

It’s a devastating thing to have a horse you love drop dead underneath you like that.  The same thing happened to Trilby a few years back with Lad, same blown aneurysm.  Rather than cranking up the ridecamp rumor mill too high, I hope we can all just show sympathy and support for the rider and think that there but for the grace of God go I.

No criticism aimed at you, Jessica.  Just trying to nip this one in the bud.

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM