[RC] Tevis and Tennessee - Howard Bramhall

Ah, the year of the campaign(s). Are ya'll as excited as I am? I swear, if I see another red, white or blue balloon drop I'm just gonna pop. I never knew anyone could get so excited about balloons until I listened to that fellow cuss about them not falling fast enough on CNN last night during the Democratic Convention finale. When I was an air traffic controller in the Air Force we used to call that a "hot mike." He was so upset he sounded like our Vice President. God bless America, because, if she doesn't, we're all in for some deep horse manure the next four years.

My wife and I recently purchased some land in Tennessee. Someone once said to me Florida isn't really part of the South, and, even though I don't agree with that geographically challenged statement, the heat down here is killing me. Land is actually worth an incredible amount in Florida lately, from what it used to be, and, pretty soon my former, tiny, little town of Ormond Beach is going to look like Disney World. For me, the wife, and, my horses, we've all decided it's time to cash in before the newcomers find out how exciting a real hurricane can get. Time to go cause horses and me don't hurricanes and we don't like mice.

Our new home in Tennessee is 25 miles from one of the most beautiful trail heads in the Smokie Mountains, where you can travel over 700 miles of horse trails and not pay a dime to Uncle Sam for doing so in his National Stomping Grounds. It's one of the few National Parks in the Country that still has no entrance fee; it might even be the only one left that is still "free." As Martha Stewart would say, "And, that's a good thing."

I love this country and I know most of ya'll do to. I was actually glued to the Democratic Convention (the only way to watch this event was on C-Span) from opening gavel to the closing speech by Kerry last nite. After 9/11, if you're apolitical, and, just don't give a damn, I'm sorry, but, there's not much hope for you at all. It's the wrong way to be. You really need to care, if not for yourself, for your children and grandchildren. Take a stand. Make a choice, and, go with it. Apathy is one of the reasons why 9/11 happened in the first place. I really believe that. If you really feel your vote doesn't matter, well, you're absolutely correct if you voice that belief by not voting. You've eliminated your voice completely which kind of takes away your right to complain. Since I love to complain, I always vote.

Anyway, back to the Smokies, the land where time stands still and clouds roll in to let you know which way the winds, aloft, are blowing. An endurance rider recently told me, "I wouldn't live there; too many rocks on those trails. Can't train for endurance, you have to do a lot of walking, because of all those rocks." Well, quite frankly, if what he told me turns out to be true; I just don't care. There is more to life than endurance (blasphemy, Howard, complete blasphemy). The horse must come first, ahead of the sport, and, if the Smokies are not good training grounds for the sport (I don't believe this, btw), I really could care less. All I know is I can go up there, in the middle of July, when the heat index in Florida is 105, and, find 58 degree weather while traversing up a mountain over 5,000 feet in elevation. Not too many places in the South where that can occur. In fact, except for those Appalachian Mountains that divide Tennessee from North Carolina, I don't think there's any place else, in the South, where you can find 50 degree weather in the middle of July.

I signed back on to Ridecamp after soon discovering I wasn't really dead after all. Seems like my gun powder was made by Halliburton and turned out to be talcum powder, not really doing all the damage that it was intended to do, even though it did make quite a mess. My ghost is touchable. My horse still feels my weight when I ride. I didn't transform into that ultra-lite featherweight, no saddle necessary, as I was hoping. As a ghost, I was planning on riding sans saddle, sans helmet, and sans clothing. If you can't see me, I might as well ride nakid. I was planning on wearing a Darth Vader helmet to entertain the juniors. Death, the final frontier; and, my horse would love me more dead than he did when I was alive. Ah, well, maybe next time I'll get my powder from a more reliable source.

TEVIS is happening. I checked the start list and was quite amazed at who has entered this year. Europeans, South Americans, some folks from Japan, UAE riders, a guy from Hawaii, two gals from Florida (go Roxanne and Becky and Mustang Gorgeous George), the list is incredible. Both Rojaks are there this year too (I wonder if they took that humongous motor home out there with them). Take the Biltmore and multiply it tenfold. What an event! What a show! Barnum and Bailey have got to be looking on. Be it ever so humble, there's no place like Tevis.

My number one hope is all the horses survive this incredible event this year. It really does seem to be larger than life itself. The horse must come ahead of the sport, but, sometimes, this does not seem to be the reality the day of the ride. Excitement is in the air and I wish I was there. Forget politics this week-end and just enjoy the show. The best horses in the world will be there and we're all captivated by their ability to endure what we ask from them. Go, Gorgeous George; go Shar-Po! And, my goodness, Catfish is there too! I do believe he weighs more than me, in that Earl Baxter extreme heavy weight category. Go, Catfish, Go!

cya,
Howard (a closet Gator living in Tennessee; hey, it's not a coincidence their the same shade of orange)