[RC] [RC] Hot Dogs - Deanna

Hi Jeannie -

Our PB dog does the same when he has an empty stomach. A piece of bread or
cracker (or horse treat!) wouldn't hurt and could help. We and some of our
friends who work our dogs in the field have had the same experience as you.
Sometimes after a hot workout, he takes in too much water and barfs it back
out with bile. To combat that, we'll give him ice to lick on instead of
offering water. To cool him so he doesn't want/need to drink so much, we'll
throw him in his plastic crate and put a bag of ice in the front by the door
then put a fan on the front grill -- instant swamp cooler! He gets food
rewards while he's working, so that solves the empty stomach problem.

Before looking into possibly expensive homeopathic remedies, I'd look at
changing dog foods if you aren't already feeding a premium food (Eukanuba,
Nutro or some such) or ultra-premium food (Wellness, California Natural,
Innova, etc.). Nutro has a great Chicken Rice and Oatmeal formulation
(canned or kibble) for dogs with sensitive stomachs if you want to give that
a try. If you want to go a step further, the ultra-premium foods are not
cheap, but my dogs do better on them than Nutro even. Better coats, less GI
upset, less gas and even less eye goop!

I also administer ABC liquid Pro-Bi to my dogs when needed. When I travel
with the dogs, I feed less than normal in each feeding and feed some of the
canned Nutro Chicken, Rice and Oatmeal formulation along with the kibble to
the tummy sensitive guy. (The two mixed breeds seem to have cast-iron GI
tracts.)

Hope this helps!

Deanna

PS - To make this endurance related, our pack travels with us, even to
rides. :-)

-------------------------------
Jeannie G wrote:
My 20 month old Rhodesian Ridgeback <snip>....throwing up bile when he gets
hot, whether we are riding or just hanging out at the barn....he always has
water, shade and even his own swimming pool to cool off in......my neighbor
I ride with, who is an ER nurse, said she had a dog that did that and
eventually she lost him to a damaged pancreas....she suggested I consider
homeopathic supplements...
?
ANY THOUGHTS??????? Wouldn't want to damage this wonderful pup who has
become my best friend..........