[RC] spooking - Marv Walker

At 11:16 AM 7/29/04 -0400, Laurie Durgin wrote:
Bingo--Light went on. I have been talking to the John Lyons discusssion board--along with my 10 million training books and tapes.Including the new" Despook your horse book",-Trying to find out how to fill in the holes and
train my horses--Without the "theyre' stupid, you have to beat them into submission training technique "or  the "gadget" technique.
  It is letting them succeed ---setting things up so they can succeed with scary things --- but not so scary that they freak---building on little success--"atta boys, you can do it's"--- Giving them confidence. I've seen that with R. --Now I am trying to apply that to S. and H.She freaks ,  and having to work thru both our fears---- Need small successes. --It si a common thread in most trainers and books. Try to set thing sup in small doses to help train them emotionally too--Not just physical and mental----They might be able to do it and know how to do it----But they are afraid---That is the part  we often seem to miss----   JL says Turn up the scxary slowly so thaey can succeed, Teach them somthing, then turn up the volume into progressively scarrier places, till they  listen to you in any situation. ---Like start in the roundpen or ring, then do it outside the ring, in the pasture, then maybe near the road/trail, or go to a show and do it far from the action, then nearer and nearer, keeping them focused on you and your requests, ---That way you both gain confidence.

I have extraordinary success with spooky horses with the
following:

1.)  First and foremost I form a leader follower connection
with the horse by using the herd dynamics procedure I
offer for free on the Net. (send any email to my autoresponder
Bonder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx for the current location)

One must be able to communicate with the horse to accomplish
anything with minimal hassle.  A leader follower relationship
herd principle is that the herd leader determines the value of
the spook.

2.) I have the horse examined by an equine chiropractor paying
special attention to the atlas, axis and C3 to C6 cervicals.

Neck pain can cause erratic movements from the most casual
glances to the side.

3.) I have the horse worked on by an Equine Sports Massage
Therapist.

Body tension, especially in Arabs & Anglos, can greatly heighten
reactions.

4.) I put the horse through Spook School where I teach the horse
to blame me for EVERYTHING that happens around it..  I basically
just do stuff and ignore the horse's reactions until it says, "Oh, it's
just him goofing around again."

Marv "Liberal means allow anything, stand for nothing." Walker