[RC] Tires, trucks and trailers - Dean A. Conti

There have been several previous discussions regarding tires, trucks and trailers. I thought I had a good handle on what we were doing but decided to investigate as we are planning some long trips. I was surprised how far off my mental estimates were so I have decided to pass on what I have learned.

The truck:

   Ford 2003 F-350 Crew Cab, 4WD, 8’ box and single rear tires. 6.8L diesel, 4.30 rear axle ratio with towing option.

   Stock tires Firestone LT265/75/R16 Load range E, 3415# @ 80 PSI.

   We have a minimalist 8” camper (875# empty)

The trailer:

   Logan 4 horse slant steel with two 6000# rated axles.

   Stock tires 7.50-16LT Load Range E, 2780# @ 75 PSI.

On the way back from a recent ride we pulled into a road side truck scale:

   Front truck axle load:  4,550#

   Rear truck axle load:   6,810#

   Horse trailer load:        8,080#

           Total weight:       19,440#

The specifications for the truck as listed in the owners’ manual:

   Total combined weight:          20,000#

   Max trailer weight:                 12,500#

So going down the road with four horses and gear we were within 550# of the gross combined weight limit of the truck and within 10# of the tire limits. This was not acceptable to me because I want some safety factor. (My brother is an owner/operator CDL cross country driver and he has told me the worst accidents he comes across most often involves towed trailers of one sort or another).

I went to the local Les Schwab and came up with a couple solutions:

   There are now 8 lug rims available in 19.5” as opposed to the stock 16”. (Be certain to also check the load rating of the rims themselves. I saw some nice looking 16” alloy rims that had a 2200# load rating!)

   We then mounted up some Toyo 245/70/R19.5, Load Range G, 4540# @ 110 PSI tires. The side walls are shorter and twice as thick which also improves handling. (I also learned that load rating of tires can drop 5% to 15% when used on a dually so keep that in mind).

   We also added air bags to the rear suspension to lift the rear end and steady the load side to side. It has a small air compressor and controls/gages inside the truck to monitor/adjust the air pressure while on the road.

   The six year old trailer has freshly packed wheel bearings and checked tires and brakes (both good until next year).

Unfortunately this all cost around $3500 but we have a noticeably steadier ride (not that it ever felt bad). Ultimately what price do you put on safety when you have 8 souls directly involved?

So the take away is: be certain you really know what you are doing (as opposed to thinking you know). Base decisions on real measured data and published recommendations!

Dean (with the eight of us (4M,4H) looking forward to competing in our first full family ride at Chief Paulina this coming weekend)!