[RC] NASTR 50 (Part 4 of 4) - Aaron Turnage

We watered the horses and then I left off by myself on
the ?short-cut? for the 50?s since the 75?s had a few
extra miles tacked on to this loop.  I tried to get
Sinatra to lope some so I could relax some of my
muscles, but he his a trotting horse by nature and
takes more work to make lope.  We cruised along
towards the next water and I thought there were
actually some horses in front of us.  Sinatra was
being spooky about some dirt bikes and stuff since we
were by ourselves again (horse-eating fences and such)
so this section was actually what probably put me over
the edge.  By the time we got to the water, I could
see that there were two riders up the trail.  We set
off to catch them.  As I got closer, they started to
trot.  I wanted to yell, ?I?m only a 50!? in case they
were the front-runners on the 75.  I didn?t want them
to think I was racing for a placing.  Eventually I
caught up to them and realized they were riding the 50
as well!
They could not have been more surprised.  They were
sure they were the last ones out.  We started talking
and I was VERY pleased to meet Gretchen and Merri from
Bridgeport.  In fact, this is the same Merri that went
to Egypt earlier this year and whose stories I eagerly
awaited reading in Ridecamp!  We all decided that time
was against us at this point and to just walk in from
here.  There is not sense in racing two young horses
(Gretchen and mine), plus Raffiq felt off to Merri.
So we happily chatted our way back to camp, arriving
at 6:05 pm, five minutes after the cut-off with a hold
and 5-miles that would not be accomplished today.
Although I?m disappointed I?m now 2 for 4 in my
50-miler attempts, I certainly can?t blame this one on
anyone by myself.  I started late, I took my time when
I should have paced better, and I didn?t take care of
myself and was hindering my horse. Sinatra vetted out
great at the finish, 50/50 CRI and all A?s, I had a
TON of horse left.  I am happy with my decision not to
push him once I realized I would have had to really
rush.  I certainly don?t condition at those speeds yet
(10 mph for several miles) that would have been
necessary in order to finish the ride.  It would not
have been fair to ask that after already traversing
40+ miles of difficult trail.
So, chalk this one up to lessons learned.  At least I
know we?ll be better prepared next time.  Our next
ride will be in September, wish us luck at our 5th
attempt!  Hopefully we?ll have 150 miles to our credit
soon.  =)

Crysta and CT?s Sinatra