[RC] Rasping - k s swigart

Candace said:

I don't think  I ever said to rasp the entire hoof wall, IMO
one should never rasp the periople.  And, if there is flare
at the bottom, the thickness of the hoof wall at that flare
goes up the hoof.  The wall needs to be thinned in that
area (below the periople) so that it will grow in properly.

Since the periople is the entire outer covering of the hoof wall, there
is no way to rasp the hoof (except across the bottom) WITHOUT rasping
off the periople....yes, even to rasp off a flare.

It is true that in some situations, that by the time the hoof wall has
grown as far as the ground that the periople has worn off a bit, but
this doesn't happen "naturally" And while I can't speak to the hooves of
feral horses (I refuse to call them wild, there is a world of difference
between feral and wild) not having had a chance to observe them; I can
speak to domestic horses that have grown up out to pasture without any
hoof care for 4-5 years (since my rock pile does provide enough abrasion
that the horses hooves don't need trimming...and don't get "flares" on
them).  And I can tell you, that those horses have a periople that goes
pretty much all the way to the ground, but then they also naturally get
a few lumps and rings in their hoof wall, depending upon the time of
year and the quality of the forage out in the pasture.

Which makes this statement: "...check the outer wall for any unnatural
growth irregularities.  This would include bulges, flares, unnatural
wall angles, or any other irregular growth salient which compromises the
natural conformation and functioning of the hoof.  These generally
result from insufficient natural wear of the outer wall, unnatural
trimming practices, and certain lamenesses such as laminitis...." just
so much bull shit.

It is perfectly normal for horses feet to have "rings" on them if they
are foraging for what is "naturally" available, since what they are
really indicative of is changes in amount of growth, which in a
"natural" setting (i.e. without the interference of trimming, feeding,
etc.) is caused by the changes in the seasons, the availability and
quality of the forage, and the hardness/moisture content of the ground.

And you won't catch me rasping those things off just to make my horses'
hooves look pretty.  As long as they weren't caused by a bout of
laminitis (or some other pathological insult to the system that showed
up in the feet, gelding a horse has also been known to show up as rings
in the horses hooves) then they are no concern except cosmetic.  Even if
they are caused by a bout of laminitis, this may be cause of concern
(because they show a history of a laminitic episode that may have had
some other truly unpleasant effects that are not merely cosmetic), but
it still doesn't require/recommend rasping them off.

If I see rings on a horse's feet that I don't know the history of, the
"change" in hoof growth that this indicates will suggest that I should
find an explanation for it, and if the horse was gelded three months
earlier, or had a feed change, or moved from sandy soil to hard soil,
then that is explanation enough and I am unconcerned.  I would be more
concerned if the horse's hooves had been rasped smooth since that is, in
essence, hiding any insult to the horses hooves that may or may not be
of long term relevance.

kat
Orange County, Calif.