[RC] dipped my toe in - Chris Paus

In the show waters today. My hats off to anyone who
shows horses and enjoys it. I've never done anything
more nervewracking! I'd much rather ride for 30
miles.. at least you have time to get your horse's
brain engaged, LOL...

But we came home with a 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

We went to our local show today. Good thing it's just
a little schooling show. Ali's halo slipped big time.
She's my 4yO mare who has been so sweet and quiet on
the trail, good with kids and even good in a parade.

My grandson's horse is laid up and he wanted to show
Star at halter. I thought it would be fun to see what
the old man (Star) could do. Our plan was to show Star
in all breed gelding halter, Ali in all breed mare
halter, Ali in walk-trot, and Star in English
pleasure.

Ah, note to self, if we ever do this again, just take
one horse. Not two pasture buddies.

The two were raving maniacs in the halter classes.
Calling and calling to each other, carrying on and
prancing around. They had separate classes and
couldn't go in together and they were not happy about
that.

But Ali got 2nd out of 4 horses. The first place horse
was a really beefy halter type paint.

Star got 3rd out of 8 horses. I thought that was
pretty cool for a 17YO Arab in a class full of much
younger stock horses!

We took them back to the trailer and tacked them up.
Ali's walk-trot class was first of the two. She came
totally unglued. I've never seen her act like this at
all. I think she might have been better outside, but
the outside arena was so bad from all the rain
yesterday, they squeezed us into a little show barn.

It was too much for girlfriend.. kids in strollers,
people with video cameras. she was not a happy camper,
not to mention in flaming heat. There were only two of
us in the class. The judge told me I could leave the
class if I liked and come back in the walk-trot
training class. I did so, but should have stayed. By
the time I decided to leave, Ali was starting to
settle down. The worst we could have done was 2nd!

but we left. There were 4 in the walk trot training
class. Ali's behavior deteriorated. We stayed with it,
but got 4th out of 4. sigh.... I was just pleased that
we made it through the class.

On the way back to the trailer, we had to go down a
steep muddy hill. just as we were doing that, a big
tractor came down the path. Ali reared, slipped in the
mud, and we both went down. Then her bridle came off!

Neither of us was hurt, and she was easy to catch,
yeah! But I decided that was enough for us. i
scratched Star's English class and we went home.

Star probably would have been fine in his class, but I
dreaded the thought of leaving Ali tied to the trailer
while we were riding. I didn't want to come back and
find a mangled mare.

Sigh.....

She was such an angel at that 4th of July parade. to
me, that would have been much scarier than the little
stuff we did today, but then I'm not a horse... go
figure.

chris

to make matters worse, two preteen girls kept coming
to my trailer, of all the trailers there, and bugging
me for "horse rides." I told them "NO' a bunch of
times but they just didn't get it... sigh..

=====
"A good horse makes short miles," George Eliot

Chris and Star

BayRab Acres
http://pages.prodigy.net/paus