[RC] saddle quandry - marthalc

Can some of you long time endurance riders please help me see through the forrest of saddle options?  I have ridden primarily in arenas until very recently, and have ridden in english saddles.  I have just bought a Morgan filly, 3 years old and I understand they are both wide backed and shortbacked so one has to be careful the saddle is not too long.  I want to ride her primarily on the trails and hope to do some AERC rides as soon as she and I are able; but for right now I need a saddle to get us going out on the trail.  I have ridden with a non-endurance trail rider who rides in Circle J All Purpose saddles, the seat is nice and flat and I can sit in the center of her horses.  Don't know if I should go for a western saddle or an endurance saddle -- and a treeless saddle or a treed saddle.   I have heard the treeless saddles are great for up to 25 mile rides, but that they don't do as well at 50.  Also, if someone is new to trail riding, does one feel secure in a treeless saddle?  Please share your experiences -- live with a horseman (former endurance rider) who doesn't believe in saddles at all!!