Re: [RC] Buying/selling horses - Chris Paus

I breed for a good, dependable, well built riding
horse. The traits that make a horse good at endurance
USUALLY are similar traits that a horse needs for
other sport horse activities.

In fact, the "sport horse" crowd is much more likely
to pay a decent price for a prospect than is the
endurance crowd.

Two of my babies have gone to people interested in
sport horse activites.. these are my Anglo Arabs. My
purebred has gone to someone who does endurance. I'm
keeping one of my own horses for myself. She's going
to be an all-arounder for me.. endurance, CTR, and
dabbling in a little bit of this and that.

I can't designate what jobs these horses will get when
they get to their new homes. but I can  breed  for
good legs, soundness, good conformation and good
brains. These criteria help a horse succeed at many
jobs. And if they end up being someone's back yard
pal, that's OK too as long as they are treated well.

You are right in that as in the race horse industry,
you can breed two champion endurance horses and not
get a good endurance prospect. It's always a crap
shoot. But there are certain bloodlines and  certain
conformation qualities that seem to have a higher rate
of success over the long haul than others.

Unlike the "big time" breeders, I can't mass produce
foals and hope for one fabulous winner. I have to
carefully select mates for my mares to give the
resulting foal the highest odds of being a good
quality animal.

I hope this helps answer some of your questions.

chris

--- Mike & Laurie Hilyard <PFmorabs@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I find this thread interesting for a couple of
reasons - first off, how do you breed for endurance?
 Other than the slow heart rate that recovers
quickly (essentially, a heart with great stroke
volume), adequate legs, and an unstoppable desire to
eat and drink, I'm not sure what the similarities
are.  Maybe a high pain tolerance?  Someone pointed
out a flat croup is rotten in the mountains - but is
it as bad a fault in Michigan sand?  A horse with
perfect conformation for the rockies might get left
in the Florida dust.

=====
"A good horse makes short miles," George Eliot

Chris and Star

BayRab Acres
http://pages.prodigy.net/paus