From: "Lif Strand" <lif@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Nancy Sturm" <nsturm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; "Ridecamp"
<ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, July 19, 2004 8:58 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] Buying/Seling

At 07:39 AM 7/19/2004, Nancy Sturm wrote:
Bob Rosser, an old cowboy who had ridden as a hand  on some of the really
big ranches in the west, including the King Ranch, once told me that when
compute the investment I have in a horse, I can't count "the cost of
operation" - feed, farrier, vet, board.  He considered those things just
part of the cost of using a horse.

But cost of operation is part of what determines the selling price of
anything.  We don't pay the cost of materials only when we buy toilet
paper
- all the utilities of the plant, the labor, the associated costs, are
always factored in to the sales price.  But of course that brings up the
difference between people who are "in the business" and those who are
selling horses who are not.  The IRS will expect to see those feed,
farrier, vet and board bills itemized if you are "in the business", and
they will not figure you are in the business to make a profit if you
don't.

I guess what's being said here on RideCamp is that the sport of endurance
(and competitive riding too) just can't support those who would breed just
for those uses.  I know it's not that simple - buyers alone don't control
prices.  The whole banana includes that there's not enough financial
reward
available to justify large expenditures on horses, there's not enough
people involved to generate revenues, etc. etc.

    Lif Strand      fasterhorses.com
            Quemado NM USA