Re: [RC] horses in hawaii - Lif Strand

At 12:51 PM 7/18/2004, pamela grant wrote:
Does anyone belong to ridecamp and live in Hawaii?
What is it like for horses, trail riding etc?

I visited an Arabian ranch on Kauai and was told that the grazing on all that lush, green grass is not good (so much rain that the soil doesn't have nutrients, in spite of the soil additives they use) and they actually import their alfalfa from the mainland US. Very expensive! Kauai is very steep and very wet, not a great place to expect trails to be. One of the owners was into roping and had to take his horse to another island via barge to do that. Also expensive! They were all but wiped out by a hurricane in the late 1980s. I don't know if they're even breeding horses any more, as they lost their main stallion and their property was so damaged that they became totally discouraged about it.

But that's just one island. Other islands are drier and maybe on the Big Island there's better conditions and more riding.

   Lif Strand      fasterhorses.com
           Quemado NM USA