Re: [RC] Rescue horses - the real story - Paddi

This is the real story!!
After reading this post I did some investigating.
First of all there are not 1000s of mares going to slaughter not even 100s.
Mares heavy in foal are not sent to slaughter nor are foals as the SOS web
site states.
Email me the name of the farmer and name of the ranch who is saying he will
slaughter the mares. I will personally contact him myself to ask what is
going on?
My vet is the ranch vet for 20 PMU barns. She is well informed.

The barns that have lost the contracts are working with adoption groups in
the US and Canada for placement. The bucking horse barns are not selling
their mares.
Most barns have good blood lines and have worked hard to get a quality foal
crop. They are not sending the mares to slaughter but keeping them to foal
out in the spring. They will then have a foal sale. Brood mares may also be
sold.
I have also heard the demand for Premarin is rising again as women realize
the risk of Breast cancer is low and the symptoms of menopause are hell.
These men are horseman first and foremost. They love their horses and spend
a great deal of time and money on them. They ride, drive and pack. It is a
huge undertaking much like a dairy farmer type commitment to run a PMU barn.
In most cases they breed for quality foals, there are futurities for PMU
horses with BIG $$$$$$ to be won.
Please keep an open mind and do not take all gossip as truth. Investigate
what you are reading and hearing!!!!
Blacky a  2 year old PMU stallion  was injured in a pasture accident. His
hock was injured and infection went into the joint.
The owner spent over a $1000 dollars on him trying to save him. He would
probably only be a pasture pet if he made it but the owner never hesitated
to try and save him. He was in the same barn as Sid when he was sick so I
was there for his treatments and his surgery. I have pictures. Everything
possible was done to save this horse. I know the owner personally and he
really cares about his horses. The teeth are done , the feet look good.
http://www.biothanetack.com/Articles/pmu.htm  is the site for the PMU
article from last year.
Having been to a talk on Heat Stress and the Equine by Dr. Loving in Red
Deer Alberta I am not about to point fingers in any direction. Her talk was
not favorable to endurance riders.
I knew it is the worst cases and not the norm that was on her screen but the
non endurance folks were not so sure.
Paint everyone with the same brush and it gets ugly.
My .02 worth and getting off the soap box
Paddi Sprecher
Canadian Trail House

www.CanadianTack.com
1-866-987-4816 toll free order line
Canadian Distributor for Dixie Midnight No-Sweat Vent Pads
EasyCare Stirrups and Easy Boots
Biothane Tack, Skito Equalizer Pads
Cashel Flymasks
Yacht Braid Horse equipment

PLEASE.....can you help in any way, pass the word maybe....very soon, it
is
imperative
that these mares be adopted by the 18th so they can get out and not go to
slaughter. The farmer will have them slaughtered and the cutt off for free
shipping is
by the 31st and they have to have time for health tests and forms to cross
the border.

WE are trying to get 18-20 mares to Id and OR and can not do it without
help. They will only ship in this size lots, so if we only have 15, the
lives of
all mares will be taken.  PLEASE...just a mention to please consider
sponsoring a horse or
adopting one.
--------
 > I am not affliated with this organization, just an concerned horse
lover
who
 > wants to help and is passing the information along in hopes of saving
more
 > mares.  Can you post the following?
 >
 > CAN YOU HELP SAVE A MARE FROM SLAUGHTER? due to the education about
Premarin
 > and how pregnant horse urine (PMU) was used to make it, the foals
frequently
 > slaughtered, the use of premarin is down by over 25% and expected to
keep
 > dropping.  Now the mares are in trouble. The farmers have been given
noticed
 > and cuts made by the drug industry on their contracts. Many have no
choice
 > but to sell or slaughter their mares.  SOS rescue of PMU mares is now
in
 > progress.  Looking for 20 (now 8) adopters or sponsors from Oregon to
qualify for
 > free
 > shipping by Jan 20 (shipping by the 31st due to regulations on shipping
 > pregant mares).
 >    PMU mares are in danger of slaughter and need immediate
 > rescue.  Some of these mares are QH, Paints, Belguims and many are in
foal.
 > There are registered mares and unregistered, buckskins, palominos,
paints,
 > bays, sorrels, many different colors.
 > Please see http://www.members.shaw.ca/sosrescue  for details & photos.

Scope out the new MSN Plus Internet Software - optimizes dial-up to the
max!