Re: [RC] Testing Saddle Fit - heidi

But alas, backs seem to be the LAST thing that most breeders consider,
and I would reckon a guess that most breeders don't have a clue what
constitutes a good back.>>

That is where Deb Bennetts' "Secrets of Conformation" starts - the back.
 Very informative video and I reckon it's a must in every rider's
toolbox.

I agree--Deb is right on the money with her approach to conformation.

Maryanne mentioned riding without a cinch - or being slack if it is
there.  My dressage buddies go pale when they happen to see me riding in
the neighbourhood 'cos you can see daylight between the girth and horse.
 I would hazard that it also has a bit to do with the balance of the
rider - no matter how tight that saddle is, if the rider is unbalanced
in any way, that saddle will shift.

I can remember riding home as a kid with no cinch after having my cinch
break--and that in extremely mountainous terrain.  I had to be a bit
careful getting on, but had no troubles after that.  I was riding a 15/16
TB mare at the time that was the product of old-time ranchers in this area
breeding to Remount stallions.  I have yet to ride a horse that needs a
breast collar or crupper to keep the saddle in place--and I don't ever
intend to, if I can help it!

My biggest problem now is mounting--I'm clumsy, off-balance, and heavy.
But if I use a mounting block, the horses I'm currently riding likewise
can get by with pretty loose girths.  And I have to attribute most of that
to good backs, as I'm not the spiffiest of riders.

It has also been my experience that when one has horses with good backs,
shopping for saddles is not difficult.

Heidi