Re: [RC] Testing Saddle Fit - Maryanne Stroud Gabbani

While I would be the last one to hold myself up as a model rider, I'd have to agree with Kat's simple solution. I bought some of my horses some custom-fitted Saare saddles. When I brought the first one home, I tried it out on my favorite chestnut nut case. Unfortunately, the cinch that I had available wasn't QUITE short enough, but it was short enough to look sort of ok at first while the Mistress of Deception had her belly blown to the size of a tank truck.

Once we got out in the desert and were trekking along enjoying the sights that included a 50 km ride going on in the same area of desert, a jeep loaded with a bunch of my friends drove up and stopped parallel to us. I could see our reflection in the window and the cinch was hanging a good 3 inches below her belly. The friends just pointed and raised eyebrows while I checked out the situation in the window and then offered to follow me in (about 4 km in the desert) when I said that it was better if I didn't know.

I made it back and altogether rode about 12 km with no cinch...and most importantly no indication of a problem until I got off. <G> That's not the last time this happened and in these saddles, which seem to fit well by any other criteria as well, the lack of support was unnoticed.

But don't try to mount this way. That hurts.

Maryanne
Cairo